Wednesday, May 14, 2008

today at toddler open gym

Toddler Open Gym is an unstructured program at the Monon Center (our local rec center) offered most Wednesdays from 10:30-11:30. I have taken Andrew several times. It costs $5 and it's basically a chance for the youngsters to run around freely for an hour and expend some energy. There are always plenty of balls and usually several tunnels to crawl through, a small trampoline, some tumbling mats, etc. You get the idea. We haven't gone in awhile since we've had nice weather off and on, but since today was wet and rainy it was the perfect day to go.

As soon as we walked into the gym Andrew let out a big happy squealing scream and was wiggling out of my arms, he was so excited. The kid seriously had a smile on his face for a solid hour. He just loves being around other kids, even if he only looks at them and watches what they're doing. When Andrew gets really excited he stands with his arms straight down to his side...he clenches his fists, tenses his arm muscles and squeals with a big smile on his face like he just can't contain himself. He did this many times throughout the hour.

He did his typical throwing balls around (Ball! Ball!), sometimes at me and other times at no one in particular and crawled through the tunnels a bit. He got a big thrill out of doing somersaults (with my assistance) over some tumbling equipment. He spent a great deal of time climbing up and down the bleachers. The bleachers seemed to be a magnet for many kids his age. That's another thing that gets a squeal out of him. As Andrew walks down small steps (and these were small steps in the middle of the bleachers...he wasn't walking from bleacher to bleacher - just thought I would clarify), he gets really excited when he steps down. I think it's that split-second of uncertainty and the feeling of falling. Hmmm...he likes the feeling of falling. Oh, I sure hope he doesn't wind up a bungee-jumper! I have to say even with all of the equipment out on the gym floor, the bleachers were probably Andrew's favorite.

I especially enjoyed watching him try to jump on the trampoline. Andrew watched an older child jumping up and down on the trampoline which made him want to get on there and give it a go. He climbed on, stood in the middle, and proceeded to bend & straighten his knees really fast like he was jumping. Too bad his feet never left the trampoline! Oh, well. At least he knows what to do. He just needs a little more umph. My favorite moment of all was when I lifted Andrew off of the trampoline. I gave him a big squeeze and he laid his head on my shoulder, and after I set him back on the ground he walked around me (I was sitting down) and gave my back a hug. I guess he didn't want my backside to feel left out. :)

It was a good way to spend a rainy and dreary morning!

No comments: