Monday, September 6, 2010

Goodbye Summer

Andrew starts preschool tomorrow, and while I'm a little excited, I can't help but be a little sad that our summer is coming to an end.  Granted there will be many more warm days and many more fun activities planned, but our summer as we know it is ending.  We can't simply do what we want to do, when we want to do it.  We can't play every day by ear.  We will actually have a schedule to follow now.  Andrew will go to preschool 3 days a week (Mon, Tues, Thurs) from 9-12.  I also very recently (as in last Wednesday) signed Austin up for his own preschool class.  I know some other moms who signed there kids up for the same class (at a different preschool than Andrew's), and I originally had no interest in putting Austin in it.  He just seemed way too young, especially because he will be 4 1/2 months younger than Andrew was when he started preschool, and at the time I thought that was a little early.  However, I know how great it was for Andrew to have his own place to go with kids his age, and as much as I hate to admit it, it was good for him to spend a little time away from me.  So, after talking to a friend last week, and finding out that there was still an opening, the idea of sending Austin to preschool one day a week sounded more and more appealing.  I called the preschool, met with the director for an hour, and signed Austin up that very same day.  I'm nervous and excited for Austin, but I can totally picture him at this preschool with his friends.  I am sure he will have fun!  He will go on Thursdays.  It is, of course, an added bonus that both boys will be in preschool at the same time one day a week, and I will get a couple hours to myself.

Back to our summer.
It has been filled with (in no certain order)...

-playdates
-several trips to the Children's Museum
-a 2nd trip to Virginia in July where Loren and I drove one day to VA Beach for a Dave Matthews concert while the boys had some quality time with Grammie.  The boys did fabulous without us.
-two trips to the zoo
-in June Austin started walking, and now he's running
-lunches with friends
-two trips to Conner Prairie
-splash parks
-bike rides
-parks, at least 6 different ones that I can think of
-many visits to the neighborhood pool with friends or by ourselves
-swim lessons - Andrew took a session at the beginning of the summer and one at the end.  He has advanced to Preschool Level 3!
-several trips to Lafayette to visit our friends and our Lafayette friends visited us several times
-Gpaw and Grandma Cyn came to visit for a weekend in August, so Loren and I could go to Chicago for a wedding.  We were gone for over 24 hours and the boys, once again, did fabulous without us.
-two trips to the local water park
-two Indianapolis Indians games
-cookouts
-Turkey Run Sate Park
-playing in the backyard - the pool, the slip 'n slide, the sandbox, mowing
-Andrew finally learned how to ride his tricycle
-Along with the swim lessons, Andrew taught himself to hold his breath, put his face in the water, and float.  He e has only done this in the baby pool or the backyard pool, but this is huge for him.
-and more...

Because I have neglected this blog over the summer, I will inundate you with pictures of some of what we have been up to. This in no way captures the entire summer, because I often found myself without my camera, but it will give you a good idea.  Enjoy!
*
*
*
*

No comments: