Wednesday, March 2, 2011

1st Knitting Project


Watch out world.  I'm learning how to knit!  Sort of.  I can do one stitch, nothing fancy.  I made a 5x5 square for a charity group who had people knit squares that will be sewn together for a big blanket which will be given to a little girl going through chemo.  It wasn't perfect, and I'm not sure if they will even want to use it.  When I make a mistake, I have a hard time correcting it.  I don't know this little girl, but a friend of a friend does, and that's how I got involved.  I tagged along one evening and joined the group of knitters, not knowing how to knit myself.  Ally, the leader of the group, taught me enough so that I could finish the square.  Afterwards, I wanted to keep going, so I consulted You Tube to learn how to 'cast on' and refresh my memory on the garter stitch (I sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I really don't).  My friend Crystal helped me out when I goofed.  I texted her and she graciously let me stop by her house on a Sunday afternoon to help me correct my mistake, which involved taking it all out and starting over.
I will get this blanket done.

No comments: