It was a crazy day. It started off fairly relaxed. Andrew was awake by 7:00 and Austin slept until almost 8:00 (very unusual for him). We mostly hung out in the morning and Austin, having a cold, was ready for a nap an hour after he woke up. So, I put him down at 9:00 and he took his normal 30-40 minute nap. That was okay today because the boys had doctor appointments (regular checkups) at 10:30. Once Austin woke up from his nap, the day went into high-speed. I fed Austin as best as I could, gathered all the normal things - diaper back, snack for Andrew, toys for Austin, etc. I felt like we were running late, but we got there right at 10:30. And then we waited, and waited. Finally we got called back only to wait some more. It was nearly 11:30 by the time the Pediatrician actually saw us! So annoying. The appointments went well, but we were there
for-ever. I was overwhelmed with information, as usual when both boys have appointments on the same day, but what can you do?
Sidenote: the Pediatrican told me that age 3 is a really tough age: 3-year-old's lie a lot, they have no logic (not until age 4 - interesting), they argue, they whine. Geesh! Back to my story...we pulled out of the Ped's office parking lot at 12:08. Yikes! Andrew had Soccer clear on the other side of Carmel at 12:30, he hadn't had lunch yet, AND
I had to pee really bad! I drove to our house, left the boys in the car, ran to the bathroom, grabbed a granola bar and ice water for Andrew and went on to West Park where Soccer is normally held. I pulled into the parking lot 5 minutes late to find nobody there! Are you kidding me? So, I called our trusty neighbor who's son was in the morning class to find out that the class was held at the indoor location - on the
other side of Carmel. I drove right past it on the way back from the Pediatrican! Ugh. I thought about skipping it altogether, but I knew Andrew would be disappointed, so we went back to the other side of Carmel and walked in a good 20 minutes late. Andrew had fun, and I had my fill of Soccer by the time it ended. I'm glad we decided to go. Then we went back home, ate a proper lunch, I (finally) fed Austin, Andrew started acting up, Austin started fussing, both boys ended up taking naps and I had about 30 minutes to myself. Austin woke up, was fussy again (he did get 4 shots today), I fed him again in preparation for a possible trip to Meijer when Andrew woke up. Andrew finally woke up and it was 4:00 before we left for Meijer. I would have nixed that trip, but we were in dire need of some staples. I stuck to the list and zipped through the store after an immediate detour at the pumpkin bin outside. The self- checkout lane took a lot longer than it should have (darn those coupons) and we started heading home at 4:50. Andrew's swim class is at 5:30 and Loren likes to leave at 5:00 to have plenty of time to get Andrew through the locker room and onto the pool deck. We got home in time, and Loren and Andrew left on time. I then spent the next hour with a fussy baby trying to get dinner ready & the kitchen halfway cleaned up. Loren and Andrew usually get home close to 6:30 and when Austin got really fussy at about 6:10, I gave him some Tylenol in case his legs hurt and started feeding him early so he wouldn't be fussy all through dinner. Loren and Andrew got home, sat down for dinner, Austin continued to be fussy so I excused myself from the table, got him ready for bed, and fed him properly before putting him down for bed at 7:00. Meanwhile, Loren and Andrew finished dinner and headed up for Andrew's bath. Afterwards, I read Andrew a story (Loren normally reads him a story, but Austin was already in bed, so I could for once) while Loren did the dishes. After the story Andrew wanted me to take him up to bed, so I did, only for him to request Loren's version of Hush Little Baby. My feelings were only slightly hurt - Loren is the one who usually puts Andrew to bed. Loren obliged and Andrew was asleep within minutes of Loren leaving his room. Now, in between opening boxes and laying out boards for Loren (I'm doing my best to help when needed!), I can relax a little. I should probably mention that Loren had a busy day at work, came home, immediately left to take Andrew to his swim class, came back home, ate dinner, gave Andrew a bath, did the dishes, put Andrew to bed, and is now laying hardwood floor, and, thanks to the boys, he has a cold. It's not like I'm the only one that had a busy day.
This certainly isn't how all of my days are, but it was one day in my life - and I love it. There you go.
No comments:
Post a Comment