Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First day of preschool

Today was Andrew's first day of preschool. I signed him up way back in February when registration started and all Spring and Summer I second guessed myself. I had doubts as to whether or not it was a good idea to send him to preschool at such a young age. Most kids entering a 2-year old class have to turn 2 by September 1st. This particular preschool has two 2-year old classes, a young 2's (turn 2 by January 1st) and an older 2's (turn 2 by September 1st). Andrew, of course, fits into the young 2's class. Up until about a month ago I questioned my decision to send him to preschool, but then I started to get more excited about it and I knew that it would benefit him in so many ways...at the very least it would be an opportunity for him to be around other kids his age and to (tear) separate himself from his Mama.

So, today was the big day. I didn't know what to expect from Andrew. I was excited and a little nervous about how he would react. The preschool's open house was a week ago and he met his teachers and saw his classroom, but I didn't know if it would be familiar to him today. When Miss Bethany came out to the car to get him (she comes out to each car as opposed to the moms dropping off the kids inside...it's easier on the kids that way) Andrew became really shy and turned away from her. Miss Bethany was great, though. She talked to Andrew, took his hand, and in a blink of an eye Andrew started walking towards his preschool, holding his teacher's hand, with barely a glance in my direction. He looked like such a big boy. Miss Bethany said he cried a little, but only after some other kids started crying, and it didn't last very long. Andrew had a great first day of preschool, and he was exhausted afterwards.


This was my attempt to get a nice picture of Andrew before leaving for preschool. He was trying to find a way to escape the backyard.


My baby heading off to preschool...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a big day! It sounds like Andrew did really well! How did YOU do, mom???

Jess Schriner said...

He's growing up way too fast!!!! Such a big boy! He cried...did YOU?

Heather said...

I was super strong and only teared up a little. I kept myself busy for the 3 hours so I wouldn't worry too much about him. Andrew's second day of preschool was tougher on him (from what the teacher told me).