Saturday, August 25, 2012

Andrew starts Kindergarten

August 15th was the first day of school - Andrew's first day of Kindergarten.  Can you see his excitement?? He had been looking forward to this day for a good year or so.  It was bittersweet for me, but mostly sweet.  I knew Andrew was ready and he was SO excited, I couldn't bear to be sad.  Orientation was on the 13th.  We met his teacher, rode on the bus, saw his classroom, he went through the lunch line.  It was a lot easier to picture him as a Kindergartener after that.  I knew he was going to be in excellent hands.







Getting on the bus...I envisioned hugs and kisses and well wishes as he walked up to the bus for the first time.  Instead our very nice neighbor (a non-English speaking Chinese grandmother of a 5th grade boy we have watched get on the school bus for several years) saw Andrew eager and ready with his backpack and she got SO excited.  She grabbed his hands and started saying things I really wish I understood.  She was practically dancing with Andrew when the bus pulled up.  I'm not exaggerating either - it was quite the sight. 
Andrew hurried onto the bus and off he went - to the big, bad exciting, wonderful, 'full of adventure' world of Kindergarten. 



All day I anxiously awaited for 2:51 to come, so I could hear about Andrew's day.  He was so happy to get on the bus in the morning, but he was also excited to see me when he came home.  (Yay!)

This new routine has definitely been an adjustment.  Instead of relying on one of the kids to wake me up in the morning, I have to set my alarm now!  I know, it's horrible.  I set my alarm for 6:45 so I can make sure Andrew is up by 7:00 (sometimes Austin is kind enough to wake me up before 6:45, though).  Andrew gets on the bus (in front of our next door neighbor's) at 7:48.  He has had a hard time falling asleep most nights because he is so excited, and, as a result, has been a little grumpy at the end of the day.  Oh, and the Kindergarteners eat lunch at 10:15!!  That's crazy.  They are given a snack in the afternoon, but he still comes home a little hungry, so I make sure I give him another snack when he gets home.

We are adjusting, but so far Andrew has loved Kindergarten.  His teacher moved from first grade to Kindergarten this year and has taught for a long time.  She is very experienced and knows what is expected of kids going into 1st grade so she can properly prepare her Kindergarten class.  I have heard only wonderful things about her from others I have talked to.  

It's an exciting time! :)

No comments: