Andrew just completed his 3rd year of preschool. This was the first year I was genuinely sad at the end of the year bike rally. Not because I was thinking Andrew has only one more year of preschool before Kindergarten, not because our first baby is growing up way too fast, but because this is the first year he made true friends and because these true friends won't be in his preschool class next year. Andrew has had playdates with these friends...the first drop-you-off-and-pick-you-up-in-a-couple-of-hours type of playdates. One will be in the Giraffes next year, not the Monkeys, and the other one is going to a different preschool altogether. It makes me sad. I don't know why. Andrew is a very outgoing kid who has no problem playing with others and has an infectious personality. Every preschool mom I have talked to says "Oh, you are Andrew's mom? My son/daughter talks about Andrew." His preschool teachers have told me repeatedly that Andrew always has a smile on his face and is a very happy kid. I'm sure he will be fine without these friends next year. I know he will make new friends. But, still. I am sad about it.
I can't say I know a whole lot about what he learned this year. I saw all of the papers and artwork that he brought home each day, but I struggled to get him to talk about what he actually did and learned. He never hesitated to tell me what he had for snack each day and he raved about recess. Apparently those were his two favorite things. I do know that he is way more in touch with his religious side now (much more than the rest of us), due to the simple fact that he attends a church preschool, and he has developed some mad scissor cutting skills. He is very good at writing his name and many letters and numbers. Next year will be the big year as he is preparing for the big, exciting, challenging world of Kindergarten.
I think Andrew thrives with the structure and routine of preschool. I have noticed this the past couple of days when he wanted to use his preschool place mat at snack time, insisting on using a napkin instead of a plate (just like at preschool), and then afterwards throwing his trash away (just like at prsechool). I think I'm going to have to set up my own little summer "preschool" here at home, complete with circle time, art time, snack time, recess time, bathroom break time, etc. Hmmm...I might be on to something here. The wheels are turning! Seriously, Andrew would be so excited about this!
The Penguins
One happy kid!
These two rode their bikes around the circle many, many, many times and stayed right with each other the whole time. It was very cute. They are really good buds.
Adios, Penguins! It was a good year.


No comments:
Post a Comment