Monday, April 11, 2011

lack of sleep?

Yes, I am severely short on sleep, and I don't see that improving anytime soon.  But, I'm not going to talk about me.  This poor guy started fighting his naps, and even though that has gotten a lot better (we aren't giving up his nap, yet!), he still gets up WAY too early.  This has caused him to fall asleep at 10:00 or 12:00 while watching a show, fall asleep while shopping at Meijer, and even today he fell asleep on the way home from picking up Andrew at preschool.  He was up before 6 this morning.  It's 2 pm and he hasn't had lunch yet.  I don't know what to do with him.  We have gone back to the 7 o'clock (or close to it) bedtime after experimenting with an 8 o'clock bedtime after Daylight Savings (Austin continued to wake up just as early even when we put him down later), bu the early bedtime still isn't enough.  He needs a solid 12 hours of sleep at night and a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon.  How do I make him sleep??  Or better yet, how do I keep him from waking up so early insisting on staying up? 


 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, I love this!

I don't have any answers for you, but I love the pictures of him sleeping everywhere.

Evie is also a very early riser, and sometimes it causes trouble in terms of her falling asleep at dinner or being very cranky in the evening. She has to have relaxing time, but she rarely sleeps, even if she is tired. We try to get her to bed early because, like you said, keeping her up later doesn't make her sleep longer.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I should say though that we've had some success in the past with a blackout shade, because the sun usually wakes her up.

Heather said...

It's practically pitch black in Austin's room when he gets up. The first thing he does is flip on his light. I keep thinking about your butterfly lights, Shane. We tried the same idea with a lamp for Andrew (it worked for a little while, but he now insists on sleeping with his lamp on all night). Austin is too young to get that concept, though. He'll just flip on his light and pound on his door anyway. I think this is something I'm just going to have to accept...