However, when Andrew was born the idea of establishing a routine for him all of a sudden seemed so foreign to me, and impossible. I knew that it was important, but I had no clue how to create the routine. Sure, I could say nap time was at 9:00, but that didn't mean he was going to fall asleep at 9:00! Well, I eventually started paying attention to his sleep cues and watching him for signs as to when he was tired and we eventually worked out a schedule that we could follow, more or less. First of all, his bedtime went from about midnight or so (it was rough in beginning) to 7:00. Naptimes were set for 9:00, 12:00 and then another one at 3:00, if needed. 3 naps quickly moved to 2 and now Andrew has only one nap a day starting at 1:00. Breakfast is whenever Andrew wakes up, lunch is at 11:45/12:00 and dinner is at 5:15/5:30. Basically, Andrew's daily routine revolves around sleeping and eating...the rest we play by ear. Anything else we do depends on his mood, my mood, the weather, what errands need to be run, etc. We just make sure we're back in the house for nap, meals and bedtime.
I am trying to get to my point. This is why Loren gets annoyed when I try to tell a story. It takes forever. Yesterday (Saturday) was the first day that Andrew signaled to me (other than looking tired) that he was ready for his nap. It was a little after 12:30. I was in the kitchen and he was in the playroom or nearby playing well by himself. All of a sudden I heard him say "nap." When he says the word, it sounds nothing like nap, but I knew what he was saying. When I went to see what he meant and what he was doing, I found him standing in front of the stairs with a blanket and Eore (usually, it's his puppy that he takes up to his nap, but he apparently couldn't find his puppy and he grabbed the next best thing)...
He was so precious.
Today at 1:00 I went to get Andrew from one of the front rooms to tell him it was time for his nap. Generally, I tell him it's time for his nap and we go on a hunt for his puppy before heading upstairs. I expected to find him in his playroom playing with his toys, which is where he was, but I saw this in front of the stairs first.
Routine, routine, routine! I now know that all of the hardwork of establishing the routine, enforcing the routine and keeping the routine is paying off. Now Andrew is telling me when it's naptime!! He obviously finds security in knowing what comes next in his day. All this time I thought the routine was more for my sanity. Kidding!

No comments:
Post a Comment